[wplug] Installation directories

Weber, Larry A laweber at switch.com
Wed Aug 8 09:01:55 EDT 2001

I heard at the GUM there might be problems with the gcc (Ver. 2.96) that is
provided with RedHat 7.1.  So this week I decided to update to gcc 3.0.  I
went through the configure - make - make install process and everything went
well.  However the default installation directory is /usr/local/bin while
the original RedHat provided gcc is in /usr/bin.  I noticed that many of the
apps I have installed default to the /usr/local directory.  Is this some
sort of Linux standard?

Now I have two versions of gcc.  Any ideas on how to cleanly remove the
2.96, and can I move the 3.0 rev.?

I would consider blowing away 2.96 and changing my path to search /usr/local
first.  When I echo $PATH I find that several directories are repeated.  I
have checked the bashrc file but cannot find anything there that sets PATH.
Does anyone know where PATH is being set?

-laweber