[wplug] Is DSL Verizon blocking HTTP requests for clients running HTTP servers?

Josue Batista josue_batista at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 8 10:09:42 EDT 2001

I called Verizon customer service and, after I
explained my situation, the customer rep told me that
Verizon is indeed blocking inbound port 80 packets
because of the "Code Red" virus.

According to the Verizon's rep, that measure is
temporary, but there is no definitive time frame for
Verizon to lift the blocking.

Even though I understand their reasoning for blocking
port 80, I still have two negative points for Verizon
DSL:

1. Since they are so "customer service" oriented, they
should've notified users about the blocking.  In fact,
we are being denied services that were part of the
original DSL contract. Can I just cut my next payment
to Verizon DSL by, let's say $10.00, because I'm not
able to receive inbound http packets on my port 80?

2. While talking to the customer rep, she thought that
Linux was a brand-name for a PC; she had no clue that
Linux is an operating system. Of course, I have to
hear all the "...if you're not using Windows, we
cannot support you..." crap. Verizon should not make
the assumption that all their clients are passive
Windows web surfing users with no clue about how the
Internet and TCP/IP networks work.  In fact, it was no
possible for me to get a higher level of support to
find out exactly for how long they were planning to
continue blocking port 80.

Anyway, I guess I seat on my hands waiting for the
Verizon DSL geniuses to figure it all out.

-- Josue

--- Rick Smith <rick at rbsmith.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 05:12:18AM -0700, Josue
> Batista wrote:
> > Good morning everyone,
> >
> > If anyone of you is a Verizon DSL customer,
> running an
> > HTTP server, have you experience problems getting
> http
> > requests from the Internet into your server?
>
> I haven't tried, as my firewall blocks port 80
> anyway.
> A slashdot article talks of AT&T blocking for code
> red worm,
> since infected machines go after ports in the
> vicinity.
>
> http://slashdot.org/articles/01/08/07/1926212.shtml
>
> So maybe that's the case.
>
> -- Rick

=====
- ABC Tech Solutions
http://www.abcsolutions.org
[Java/Oracle/Linux] [C/S & Internet Database Apps]