[wplug] networking security

harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu
Sun Apr 29 11:53:09 EDT 2001

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, Brad Hoover wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Please excuse this very simplistic question.  As I
> posted before, I'm going to get a cable modem.  I want
> to share the connection among four computers a Linux
> box, 2 Windows boxes, and a macintosh.
>
> I thought I would just buy the modem and a hub and
> that would be that.  But I started thinking about the
> security aspects of the setup.  Should I get a router
> instead of the hub, to facilitate a firewall?  Because
> I don't think only a software-based firewall will
> work, particularly if it's windows based.

if you have the time you can setup ipmasq on the linux box and make it
your firewall. all you will have to do there is  get another nic.our lab
here is behind a masqed box. we have 7 linux and 2 windows boxes. i
followed the ipmasq howto when i set it up and it took me about a day.

the routers are a little more idiot proof and are easier to setup. i
started configuring one for a prof last week and i'm going to finish it
tomorrow. its a netgear router with 4 fast ethernet ports. i dont know how
much it costs i think between $150-200. the administration is all webbased
and has an option to loging to a pppoe or dhcp account. i believe i also
saw an option to set the mac address of the external adapter which i
though was kinda neat : ) i can send you more info if you want. it's
designed for cable modems.