[wplug] networking security

Brad Hoover b_hoovs at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 29 12:24:58 EDT 2001

Hello All,

Please excuse this very simplistic question.  As I
posted before, I'm going to get a cable modem.  I want
to share the connection among four computers a Linux
box, 2 Windows boxes, and a macintosh.

I thought I would just buy the modem and a hub and
that would be that.  But I started thinking about the
security aspects of the setup.  Should I get a router
instead of the hub, to facilitate a firewall?  Because
I don't think only a software-based firewall will
work, particularly if it's windows based.

Since I know most of you are more experienced in these
matters than me, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad