[wplug] ESD does not work for normal users

T Quine quining at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 4 00:54:45 EDT 2001

Sounds like you've got a permissions problem with your sound card.  Either
put the user in a group that can access the /dev/dsp, or just give anyone
the ability to throw bits at it.  I'm pretty sure that there are pam modules
that'll change the permission on devices as you log in, that is another
solution.  My login does something similar.

I don't think that esd is supposed to use the tcp port configuration by
default, and I doubt it pays attention to your hosts.allow file (I could be
wrong there).  Normally, it uses a unix socket, rather than tcp, which means
one less port open on your computer.