[wplug] Beowulf 2.0 iso available

Robert Dale rdale at wplug.org
Sat Dec 30 12:27:29 EST 2000

On Fri, 29 Dec 2000 jmh3 at linuxfreak.com wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, David Tessitor wrote:
>
> > I see that Beowulf 2.0 (runs multiple computers as one larger
> > computer) is available for download as an iso from Penn State's ftp
> > site.  At under 500 Kbytes/second it took me somewhere around a half
> > hour to download the full 666,000,000 byte file.  I'll have it
> > available for burning CD's at the next GUM and Installfest if
> > someone has a burner.
> >
> > I noticed that the computers that are combined don't need to be of
> > identical processors or speeds; they don't even have to be very fast
> > (the first setup was with 486's).   Maybe we could try to Beowulf
> > the Unisys mini-computers or whatever anybody wants to add to the
> > mix.
> >
> > If anybody is interested in trying a multi-computer test of this let
> > me know.  If you'd like to try it out at an installfest in the
> > future, we can discuss setting up something on the plan list.
> disclaimer: ignorance
>
> would it be possible to set up a file server and use a bootdisk to load
> everything into a ram drive? that way it wouldnt be necessary to reformat?

You will be assimilated.

Yes, it can be done.  Compile a kernel for a 486 and NIC drivers as
modules.  Then, make an initrd to load those and mount NFS root off of
the server.

--
Robert Dale

"humans are inconsequential, a thin film of life on an obscure
 and solitary lump of rock and metal" - Carl Sagan