[Wplug-web] CVS

Evan DiBiase evand at wplug.org
Sun Mar 18 14:37:39 EST 2001

On Sun, 18 Mar 2001, Zach Paine wrote:

> > If they're broken, why are they in the repo? What can we possibly do
> > with them?
>
> They're in the repo because that's where they belong on the actual page.
> Bk keeps the symlinks under revision control which helps when moving
> between repos (stable and unstable).

Hrm, okay. Makes sense. +1 bk unless CVS can do this.

> > CVS would be better because, IMHO:
> >
> > 	* It's not going to break (as much)
>
> Breaking is really the learning curve.  So are you saying cvs is easier?

That's what rob tells me. It seems easier; it's in use a lot more
places.

> > 	* More people are familiar with it
>
> I'm more familiar w/ BK.
> Have you guys done a lot of cvs development?

I've done a little bit of work with it; nothing major. If we're looking
to increase the dev team (not necessarily), CVS is going to attract more
people, I'd think.

> > 	* More tools are available that utilize it
>
> Ok.. what does that mean?  How will that effect me?  I use vi.

Compare:
http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=cvs (64 returns; most of them actually
CVS-related) vs. http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=bitkeeper (1 return:
BitKeeper). Plus, CVS works well with vi and emacs and probably other
editors, too.

-Evan