[wplug-plan] Trying to reserve HackPittsburgh for WPLUG

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Tue Jul 28 11:33:37 EDT 2015

Second Saturdays are fine with me too.  And I second that emotion,
regarding advance notice...  But to get advance notice, we need to more
aggressively plan in advance.  Some folks may recall that I've been
agitating for a long time (i.e., you're probably sick of hearing this
from me...  ;-) ) to have firm event plans at least one event cycle
ahead of time.  In other words, at the September GUM (just as an
example), we should *already* have firm plans for what the program for
the October GUM is going to be.  I know we don't have control over, for
instance, who is willing to present and when they're available to do so
- but that's what I think the goal should be.

Since we're not really having an August GUM (because of the picnic),
this gives us some time to catch up - and we should take advantage of
it.  I'd really like to see us have completely solid plans for the
September GUM by mid-August at the latest.

On a slightly related note (since the original thread was about the use
of Hack Pittsburgh as a meeting venue, and when the venue would be
available to us), I would like to see us at least think about alternate
venues for GUMs that are primarily presentation-only. It's a great venue
for hackfests and demos, but I really don't find the venue to be
particularly compatible with either giving a presentation, or
watching/listening to a presentation (and I've done both there...  ;-)
), which really would be better served by a more comfortable and quiet
(i.e., no power tools being used during our meetings....) space with
classroom or auditorium style seating.  Of course, this may depend on
the presentation itself, and what the presenter's wishes are, but I
think it's something we should think about.

--Pat.