Anyone willing to do a 15 - 20 minute emacs talk on the 13th? (was Re: [wplug-plan] Seeking topic/speaker suggestions for Jan 13th GUM)

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Sun Jan 7 10:52:45 EST 2007

Michael Semcheski <lists at immuneit.com> wrote:

> I jokingly posted a vi-vs-emacs message on the wplug list.  Its Friday
> night, I'm having a little fun.
>
> But then I thought, gee whiz, its been a long time since I've used
> emacs.  Maybe there's stuff I'm missing.
>
> So, here's an idea for a lightning topic.  Emacs.  I can do vi.  I don't
> mean have a debate about which one is better, because obviously thats
> insane.  But I'd like to see some of the advanced stuff you can do with
> emacs.  And there are plenty of tricks you can do with vi.

I like the idea, personally.  Anyone willing to do emacs?

To keep things civil, what say we lay some ground rules, each speaker
is allowed to _only_ extol the virtues of their favorite editor.  Let
the audience make the comparison, but the speakers are not permitted
to.

Break your talk down in to 3, 5-minute sections
1) Learning curve.
2) time-saving features.
3) Advanced features.

That should leave you with a 15 - 20 minute talk.

Any takers on the emacs side?

-Bill