[wplug-plan] Speaker on Non-Roman Scripts

David Ostroske eksortso at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 23:15:00 EDT 2007

On 8/9/07, Greg Simkins <gregsim at telerama.com> wrote:
> My friend Ken Wienecke is a programmer that works with SIL in their
> Non-Roman Script Initiative (http://scripts.sil.org).  Their mission is
> to create fonts for 600 languages that do not use the Roman script we
> are accustomed to.  The NRSI is working with Mark Shuttleworth to make
> ubuntu the most massively multi-lingual distro of Linux.  Ken is a good
> speaker and I think would make a nice presentation at some WPLUG meeting
> if there is interest.  He is based in Waxhaw North Carolina, a 9 hour
> drive, so it would take a little coordination with other speaking
> opportunities.  Let me know if I should pursue a date with Ken.

Greg, I'm of the opinion that WPLUG should have lots of speakers
discussing lots of interesting Linux things, especially technical
matters. I'm not as active with WPLUG as I've been in the past, but I
would say, yes, definitely urge Ken to come speak with us! We can make
time for him to speak.

I would be interested to hear any speaker who addresses i18n, simply
because I know very little about it. Fonts are a tangentially related
issue, so I'd be interested in hearing Ken Wienecke talk about the
Non-Roman Script Initiative, for the same basic reason.

--
David Ostroske <eksortso at gmail.com>