[wplug-plan] Possible kernel event?

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Mon Jan 30 23:29:13 EST 2006

I'm somewhat hesitant to bring this up, since I don't want to
distract anyone from this weekend's events, but this may be worth
filing away in your brain to think about later.

Kernel developer Greg Kroah-Hartmann has an interesting blog
entry talking about what (more) OSDL can do to help Linux:
<http://www.kroah.com/log/2006/01/26/#osdl_board_proposal>.

One of his ideas:
"There is no Linux technical conference in the US anymore. If this
 could be addressed with a conference much like ALS used to be, it
 would be a very good thing. We need to nurture the technical
 community across the US with regional conferences that are easy to
 access in order to help seed the creation of new developers for
 Linux. The different BSDs do this very well, and we need to also
 fill this gap. This isn't restricted to the US alone, South America,
 Africa, Asia and other parts of the world also need to have these
 types of meetings if we are to successfully thrive over time."

The thought is, of course, why not Pittsburgh?  I believe Beth Lynn
has some familiarity with the Atlanta Linux Showcase; that
experience would probably add a lot to any discussion of this.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program...