[wplug-plan] Should there be a wplug-job board?

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Wed May 25 15:33:36 EDT 2005

Hello,

Thanks for bringing this up again since it was in danger of slipping off
the "to-do" list.

Just to be perfectly clear, wplug does not have a wplug-job mailing list
yet. This is just a discussion on how we should go about deploying such a
thing.

Even though displeasure of email footer disclaimers has been discussed on
the general list, a wplug-jobs list could use such a thing. It would not
be a good thing for wplug to be in the middle of a contract or employment
disagreement issue.

Something to the effect of

"
The poster is solely responsible for the content.
WPLUG does not necessarily endorse the parties or
ideas expressed in this post.
"

I hope that mailman (our mailing list software) has the ability to do this.
Please someone do me a favor and look into it.

Furthermore, this list needs a FAQ so that people would know how to
appropriately post. Truth be told, all of our lists currently lack a FAQ
but desperately need one.

wplug-jobs' FAQ may be something like this
What purpose does this list serve?
A. Posting jobs in Western PA pertaining to Linux/Unix,
- Either by a head-hunter or the principle employer
_ Full time, part time, contract, internship and temp to hire are all
acceptable.
_ If the position is non-paying volunteer position, the poster must state
as such.
B. Those who are looking to work with Linux/Unix in Western PA can make
a jobs-wanted post.
C. Posting for technical job fairs were there are companies looking for
Linux/Unix experience.
D. Discussion of the local tech job market.

What type of posts are not appropriate for this list?
A. Headhunter posts were the employee is asked to pay a fee.
B. Jobs that are not in a commutable distance from Western PA.
C. Posting a job that does not entail the use of Linux/Unix.
D. Sharing your experiences with a named company, head-hunter firm,
employee, or contractor. This is not a forum for you to plead your case of
public opinion.
E. Stuff you have for sale, please post to wplug-market at wplug.org
F. Technical questions, please post to wplug at wplug.org
G. Advertising your training course. If it pertains to Linux/Unix post it
on wplug at wplug.org

How will this list be moderated?
A. All those who are subscribed will be permitted to post instantly.
B. Posts from email addresses that are not subscribed will be held for a
decision by our moderators.
C. The list moderators have the authority to suspend or remove anyone for
inappropriate posts.

Who reads these posts?
A. Anyone who is subscribed to the list.
B. Theoretically anyone with an Internet connection. This list will be
archived on the World Wide Web. Anyone with access to google may browse
into it.

We've filled the position. How do we remove the post?
A. No post will ever be removed from the World Wide Web archives.
B. You may post again to announce the position has been filled.
C. You are encouraged to post an expiration date while making a job post.

(By the way, does anyone want to volunteer to moderate this list once it
is open?!?)

Does anyone have anything to add?

Does anyone want to write a FAQ for our other mailing lists?

I'd like to see this done and done right.

Thanks,
Beth Lynn