[wplug-plan] Meetting idea a debate stemming from the debate on line from the subject "On the subject of wardriving..."

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Mar 31 16:11:11 EST 2005

Richard Farina <r.farina at adelphia.net> wrote:

> At 02:25 PM 3/31/2005, you wrote:
> >Richard Farina wrote:

> > > Half Right, it is legal to find and unsecured wireless access points.
> > > Use may or may not be legal, but is likely not.
> >
> >Please don't make this debate spill over into wplug-plan.
> >
> >She's asking you if you would be willing to argue the point, not trying
> >to engage you in the debate.
> >
> >I don't think that we could have the debate until we came up with an
> >agreement of terms, and that seems to be the argument that was on the
> >list.  It seems that no one is going to agree to the definitions ahead
> >of time, so there's no point in a debate.
> billings- if you are going to interject, make it useful.  She asked if I
> would argue that it is legal to use other people's access points without
> permission.  I was clarifying my stance on the issue so that the debate
> could be setup properly.  Thanks for your understanding.

I'm going to have to back billings on both points, Rick.

First off, the question was "are you willing to argue that it is legal to
find and use unsecured access points for otherwise legal Internet activity".
That question can be answered with a simple yes or no.

Second, wplug-plan@ is not the correct forum to debate the wifi issue.  If
you feel that the official topic for the debate should be worded differently,
then that is a legit discussion on this list.  Arguing about what is legal
and what isn't belongs on wplug@, or in the debate meeting if it's ever
organized, but not on wplug-plan at .

--
Bill Moran