[wplug-plan] future wplug meetings and space reservations

Sean McCune sean at redhandsoftware.com
Fri Mar 18 15:37:28 EST 2005

I've only ever made it to one meeting because Saturday mornings are a tough time for me to get there, but I'll throw my 2 cents in.  If you're considering off-campus places, why not talk to the Barnes & Noble in Squirrel Hill?  I know that groups hold events there, and since WPLUG meetings are open to the public... why not?  I don't know if they charge anything, so that's an issue.  But they might offer it for free just to get a bunch of computer geeks in the store who might buy those expensvie O'Reilly books.  ;)

And they have wireless... although its not free... its T-Mobile WiFi and its $10 for a day.  But maybe you could work out a deal with them (B&N and/or T-Mobile) for some free accounts for that day for the meeting attendees.... maybe in return for a "sponsorship" plug.

This would probably work out for the talks, but wouldn't be a good space for installfests.

Another idea is to check out Telerama's list of WiFi hotspots.

http://www.telerama.com/services/wireless/locations.php3

There are lots of coffee shops, etc. on that list.  Maybe there's some place that's not usually open for business on Saturday mornings but someone's there working and they could open it up for the WPLUG meeting for minimal cost, or as a donation.  And again, maybe Telerama could be prevailed upon to donate a cup of WiFi to the meeting attendees.

Just an idea,
McC

P.S. I do not work for, own, or hold stock in B&N, T-Mobile, Telerama, or any random coffee shop in the area.  ;)