[wplug-plan] mail mode (was Re: [wplug] Despret to eather ...)

Rick Smith rick at rbsmith.com
Wed Mar 7 18:37:24 EST 2001

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 06:14:45PM -0500, David Tessitor wrote:
> [..]
>
> Well, this brings up an entirely different issue which is the reply
> protocol as configured on the list server.  [..]
>
> As Brian pointed out, a configuration with a default reply to author
> helps prevent personal messages from being accidentally sent to a
> list.  He said most list servers come with that as their default
> configuration, in large part for that reason.  He also said such a
> configuration would likely have been the default with the new WPLUG
> server when it was installed a few months ago but was probably
> switched when it was set up.

(Note: list switched to wplug-plan as there is nothing Linux related)

My limited experience with lists is switching list policies after the
list existed a while is more chaos than it is worth.  Remember: the list
can be set one way, and in a democracy, up to 49.999% of the people can
have the results go against their wishes.  Result: no matter what policy
is chosen you will have winners and whiners.  With a third category
being hackers who make the tools work the way they would like
independent of the policy (in which case changing policy messes things
up).

Wplug has always prepended subject with "wplug" and used Reply-to.
Other lists do other things.  We use computers with open source
software.  Hack the software.  Or ask for help in hacking or finding
a different solution.

-- Rick