[wplug-plan] mail mode (was Re: [wplug] Despret to eather ...)

Evan DiBiase evand at wplug.org
Wed Mar 7 20:39:40 EST 2001

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Rick Smith wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 06:14:45PM -0500, David Tessitor wrote:
> > [..]
> >
> > Well, this brings up an entirely different issue which is the reply
> > protocol as configured on the list server.  [..]
> >
> > As Brian pointed out, a configuration with a default reply to author
> > helps prevent personal messages from being accidentally sent to a
> > list.  He said most list servers come with that as their default
> > configuration, in large part for that reason.  He also said such a
> > configuration would likely have been the default with the new WPLUG
> > server when it was installed a few months ago but was probably
> > switched when it was set up.

[snip]

> My limited experience with lists is switching list policies after the
> list existed a while is more chaos than it is worth.  Remember: the list
> can be set one way, and in a democracy, up to 49.999% of the people can
> have the results go against their wishes.  Result: no matter what policy
> is chosen you will have winners and whiners.  With a third category
> being hackers who make the tools work the way they would like
> independent of the policy (in which case changing policy messes things
> up).

Agreed. I think making things any different at this point would be far
more trouble than benefit. Additionally, I think the current,
reply-to-list setting is more beneficial for fostering a community --
everyone benefits from the knowledge passed around, even people who read
the archives later.

-Evan