[wplug-plan] Improving WPLUG

Zach Paine zman at angstrom.net
Mon Jan 15 23:35:31 EST 2001

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 04:01:12PM -0500, Landefeld, Alex wrote:
> Actually, Jenn and I are living on the peninsula in San Mateo:  she's
> working to the south, in Redwood City, and I'm working to the north, in the
> Financial District of downtown San Fran.  I moved up here in September, as
> the firm needed me in the expanding SF office (oh, and Jenn was moving to SF
> instead of LA).  :)

Do you like CA better than Pittsburgh?  Other than the electrical problems of
course :)

> Far from a linux expert????  But, yinz guyz were ever so close....   ;)

<instert witty remark here>

> WPLUG is a group of change experts who thrive on change:  Change in life,
> change in economy, change in computing.  In my estimation, Jonathan is
> correct in that the new strict security measures in Wean Hall make CMU less
> attractive as a meeting location.  It was an ideal location, but Linux folk
> have dealt with much that is less ideal, and it's time the group moved on.

Indeed we should move on.  We should look into Pitt and area bookstores,
libraries, etc.

> Zach's queries on the need for structure are appropriate...and resonate in
> Michael's words:  "A few interested, dedicated people can make a big
> difference".  We only need structure if the folk that we help place into the
> structure are interested in filling those posts.  No need for structure if
> its a hollow superstructure.

I personally feel like I have been putting a lot of effort into making things
happen in the group recently, including getting out installfest announcements,
clarifying room scheduling, web page stuff, etc.  I personally feel that the
group should elect people that are energetic and wish to put effort into the
group.  The reason I want this is so that things get done, which they haven't
been.  I'm not sure if elected officials is the answer though.  It's just my
first reaction.

> Please remember that Linux is not an end, merely a method for helping us to
> more fully enjoy and be productive in our journey.  We get together in GUM's
> and install fest's to share that enjoyment, and introduce others to a more
> productive (and learning-oriented) journey.

Along these lines I remember GUM's and installfests being much more fun in
yonder days.

> Pizza, soda and the Matrix are certainly fun additions to the gatherings,
> but the meat of the gatherings needs to be our collective enthusiasm.  We
> all know that WPLUG is a pretty cool group of people...but do those new to
> Linux know that?   They may not even care...specifically since we have yet
> to infect them with the ideals of Linux.  I guess the pizza and soda tide
> them over until they're converts.  ;)

I agree that these are additions and not focus, but I find the social aspect
of wplug very interesting and fun.

> Kinda like the ideal church, wplug needs people who give of themselves
> without thoughts of getting back.  Obviously reimbursing for soda, pizza and
> the periodic Starbucks coffee service just makes sense, but think about
> giving to the group either your time, your expertise, your enthusiasm, or
> some combination of the three.  Your reward will come to you in both a
> feeling of satisfaction and that periodic "Aha!" you get from people
> learning new things.

This is all true, except I don't remember the last time we reimbursed people
for soda and/or pizza!

> Oh! That's a long step down from that soapbox.   :)   ttyl

You should get on it more often.  You have good ideas and a very good
philosophy about the group.

--
Zach Paine
http://www.wplug.org/~zman/zman.key