[wplug-plan] Improving WPLUG

Landefeld, Alex alandefeld at kl.com
Mon Jan 15 16:01:12 EST 2001

Ooops, sorry, not in LA anymore.  I'm in San Francisco.   :)

More Palm trees, Rolls Royces and electricity down there.
More water, sandy beaches and cable cars up here.
Too damn much commuting time both places!   :)

Actually, Jenn and I are living on the peninsula in San Mateo:  she's
working to the south, in Redwood City, and I'm working to the north, in the
Financial District of downtown San Fran.  I moved up here in September, as
the firm needed me in the expanding SF office (oh, and Jenn was moving to SF
instead of LA).  :)

Far from a linux expert????  But, yinz guyz were ever so close....   ;)

WPLUG is a group of change experts who thrive on change:  Change in life,
change in economy, change in computing.  In my estimation, Jonathan is
correct in that the new strict security measures in Wean Hall make CMU less
attractive as a meeting location.  It was an ideal location, but Linux folk
have dealt with much that is less ideal, and it's time the group moved on.

Zach's queries on the need for structure are appropriate...and resonate in
Michael's words:  "A few interested, dedicated people can make a big
difference".  We only need structure if the folk that we help place into the
structure are interested in filling those posts.  No need for structure if
its a hollow superstructure.

Please remember that Linux is not an end, merely a method for helping us to
more fully enjoy and be productive in our journey.  We get together in GUM's
and install fest's to share that enjoyment, and introduce others to a more
productive (and learning-oriented) journey.

Pizza, soda and the Matrix are certainly fun additions to the gatherings,
but the meat of the gatherings needs to be our collective enthusiasm.  We
all know that WPLUG is a pretty cool group of people...but do those new to
Linux know that?   They may not even care...specifically since we have yet
to infect them with the ideals of Linux.  I guess the pizza and soda tide
them over until they're converts.  ;)

Kinda like the ideal church, wplug needs people who give of themselves
without thoughts of getting back.  Obviously reimbursing for soda, pizza and
the periodic Starbucks coffee service just makes sense, but think about
giving to the group either your time, your expertise, your enthusiasm, or
some combination of the three.  Your reward will come to you in both a
feeling of satisfaction and that periodic "Aha!" you get from people
learning new things.

Oh! That's a long step down from that soapbox.   :)   ttyl

..Alex.