[wplug-plan] LUG Discount Program (fwd)

David Tessitor dttessitor at home.com
Fri Apr 20 18:02:59 EDT 2001

Sorry it's taking so long on the bylaws.   I've been updating the system I had
them on and I have had a number of hassles.  I finally had everything in pretty
good order last night, except for KDE 2.1 which I can't seem to get to work at
all.  Then this morning when the computer automatically turned on, the Linux
installation somehow went haywire and won't boot up no matter what I try.  I'll
have to switch hard drives around and access it from an installation on another
disk.

I've already spent another a day and a half going over the bylaws again.
Nothing is being changed substantially, but I'm clearing up points and better
defining things so they can run smoothly.  There is still just a little bit
left to be done and as soon as I can get things working this evening, I'll try
to finish the bylaws tonight.  (Think of this as coding the structure for an
organization, much as in structuring a program.  The version I used at the
meeting was an alpha version and was just the code in rough form; it worked
because I was there to answer questions and further explain it as I went
along.  However, in all fairness to those who will be going over it by
themselves, it really should be at least a beta version and have some simple
supporting documentation when it's released to the list.)

Dave

=================

Zach Paine wrote:

> Well.. this kind of brings us back to bylaws.  It seems that most of those
> present at the past meeting agreed on a set of bylaws that David Tessitor
> wrote up.  There is a provision in there for the office of treasurer.  That
> treasurer does not exist at the moment nor does a method of storing money
> exist.

Though there is no treasurer yet, it would certainly not be premature to begin
discussing arrangements for a WPLUG account.  In fact from those discussions,
it might become apparent who it would be good to make the treasurer as soon as
the position is formally created.  With the issue already discussed, it can
then be moved on quicker too.  Remember, the proposed bylaws don't really
change the process of WPLUG much, they mainly provide for some identity of who
will specifically make decisions and the formal process which they will follow
(keeping it as close as possible to the present decision process).  The
provision for discussion on the plan-list remains, so feel free to discuss it
now because that won't be changed.

> Right now I think it's split between James O'Kane and Mr./Mrs.
> Landefeld (sp?).  I think that the money should be stored in a centralized
> location, ie. a bank.  Perhaps a checking account would be usefull so we
> could formally pay for things as well as withdraw money from ATM's.
> Whatever we decide should be put into the tentative bylaws that hopefull
> David will post soon.

The specific arrangements for accounts etc. are often not in bylaws and are
left to a decision of the board as needed.  The only stipulation that I have
put in, and it is usually recommended, is that each withdrawal have at least
two signatures, usually the chair and treasurer.  That would make ATM use
problematic, but the slower process is still advisable.  If necessary, an
individual could withdraw their own funds and be reimbursed later by check --
that's how other groups do it.

It might be good to discuss what it would take to coalesce the funds into a
single account and which bank would be good (low or no fees, easy access, etc.)
to use.

 Dave