[wplug-internet] Why does this list exist?

Joe Prostko joe.prostko at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 07:10:22 EST 2014

I think the obvious answer is because not everyone subscribed to the
general WPLUG cares about what is being discussed by the Technology
Committee (or other committees or board business, for that matter).  They
just want to discuss things like Linux in general without having to hear
about what the board and various WPLUG subcommittees are doing.  They
simply may not care at all about that stuff.  Why force emails from the
Event Committee, Technology Committee, board, and potentially other lists
onto people when they only have an interest in general Linux discussion?

I suppose we could redefine the scope of what our main list does and do
what you suggest, but I suspect we'll get a bunch of unsubscribe requests
once people see that a large percentage (probably majority) of the emails
are all about board and committee discussions, instead general Linux
discussion.  I could be wrong, and perhaps it will indeed lead to increased
participation from those who stick around, but I have my doubts, to be
honest.

I do think we could probably get by having just a general list and a
"business" list though, greatly consolidating things.  (I suppose keeping
the members list as well.)  That way general Linux discussion could happen
on the general list, and anybody interested in what the board and
committees are doing could subscribe to the "business" list, since all of
that work is inter-related

Your point does stand that wplug-internet is lacking a description on the
Mailman page.  That certainly needs addressed with mention that the
Technology Committee discussions are to happen on that list.

In any case, I do think this should all indeed be discussed, as I think
some sort of list consolidation (and elimination) could very well be
beneficial.  i think it just needs to be decided what makes the most sense
though given traffic patterns to existing lists and what the WPLUG goals
are.

- joe