[wplug-internet] New Linode upgrade available

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Thu Apr 24 00:22:33 EDT 2014

Just to inject some history, CentOS 5 was current when our VPS was
originally deployed.  There is some software that is managed
outside the repositories (standard and additional), but this was
kept to a minimum.  I wouldn't say any of the manually managed
software is "built" as it's all interpreted stuff like Perl/PHP.

Given the stability of the current setup and ongoing support for
the in-repository software we use, I don't feel any urge to
upgrade the VPS to a newer distribution.

If we should choose to deploy a new VPS, at that time I think we
ought to evaluate our options and go with something newer.  One
consideration in the selection process should be how much of the
software we run can be managed by the distro's package manager.

But at the moment, my personal recommendation would be to wait a
bit to see if Linode announces a lower-cost VPS option.