[wplug-internet] New Linode upgrade available

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Apr 23 00:45:14 EDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 8:28 PM, Justin Smith <justin at adminix.net> wrote:
> Has CentOS actually rebuilt Red Hat Software Collections, though? When SCL
> was announced, I remember thinking "wow, that's great," but I never ended up
> following through to see if it would trickle down to us common folk.

The SRPMS are available [1], and CentOS has rebuilt them. [2]

SIDE NOTE:  I was actually talking to the co-maintainer of Scientific
Linux at Red Hat Summit 2013 in Boston, and he was asking about them
back then.  RHSCL was still early in development, so the SRPMS had not
been put out on the site at that time.

> I know that we've been building MediaWiki from source.

Yeah, MediaWiki has pretty much been orphaned by Fedora Project
maintainers for any EPEL release. [3]

> Correct me if I'm wrong, Pat and company, but I think one of the reasons we ran
> an outdated version of MediaWiki for so long was because nobody wanted to go
> through the hassle of compiling a new version. I'd hate to fall into a rut like that
> again. That's a real risk now that member activity has tapered off. If there
> are any other packages we've been building from source, maybe someone else
> can chime in.

In reality, a lot of dynamic LAMP solutions tend to be
high-maintenance and not easily packaged.  RHSCL helps, but there are
still needs for ISVs to be involved.

With that said, Red Hat, CentOS, Scientific Linux, etc... manage to
keep them up-to-date.

> Other than MediaWiki, I guess my reasons for upgrading are more "likes" than
> "musts." I'd like us to move to MariaDB from MySQL,

MariaDB is in SCL. [1] [2]

> and I love, love, love using systemd.

Well, putting in a brand new, dynamic system management solution is
one of those things that is only RHEL7.  But yeah, even the Debian
Steering Committee got a lot of commercial user input calling for
adoption of systemd and the *d solutions.  Managing resources and
tapping into D-Bus et al. so dependencies are more dynamic has pretty
much taken over -- from CoreOS to LXC-Docker.

The RHEL7 RC is now downloadable from the public FTP site as of this week. [4]

Red Hat continues to provide the FTP download, although they prefer
people have a login and use the Customer Access Portal (along with
Bugzilla) for better capture of feedback and issues. [5]

-- bjs

[1] http://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/enterprise/6Server/en/RHSCL/SRPMS/
[2] http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/SCL
[3] http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=2514
[4] ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/rhel/rc/7/
[5] http://access.redhat.com