[wplug-internet] Backups

Michael Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 16:13:52 EDT 2009

Here's the basic idea I had:

Lets say we have a couple of people that are backing up the server.
Their home IP address must have a DNS name, and they must allow ssh in
(though they only have to allow it from wplug.org if they want.)

They set up a user that can login to their home PC and setup an RSA
key-pair for ssh to use.  The private key goes onto wplug.org.
We have a script that ssh's to their computer, mounts an encrypted
file system using fuse.  The encrypted file system can just be stored
as a file in the backup-user's home directory, it won't require a
dedicated block device.
Then, we run rsync and sync the encrypted partition.

Put this all into a cron job on wplug.org, and it ought to work, right?