[wplug-internet] Backups

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Sat Jun 13 18:07:34 EDT 2009

Michael Semcheski <mhsemcheski at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) Completely lay out the setup and configuration of the current
> instance, and then backup the data that changes (using rsync) to
> personal machines or to another cloud (e.g. s3).
>
> 2) Switch to a service that does offer backups (like Slicehost).

Or 3) both.  With #2, you're better off, but still at the mercy of
your provider.  Are Slicehost backups geographically separate from
the datacenter wher your server is hosted?

Linode has a backup service that is currently in beta
<http://blog.linode.com/2009/04/03/backup-service-enters-beta/>.
It is not yet available in our datacenter.  The backups are in
the same datacenter as your server, so if it gets buried in liquid
hot magma (or the company goes under, or the machines are seized
by some three letter agency), both will be lost.

Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:
} If you decide to got this way, I volunteer my PC + inet connection.  I
} have 10mb/sec FIOS, and an 80G HDD that isn't even formatted because I
} don't need the space.

That would be excellent.  My calculation from a year ago is that
backing up our data directories would consume about 3.5GB.  The
full disk, including executables, etc., currently holds ~4.4GB.
Even if we just pushed out a monthly tarball instead of getting
fancy with rsync, I'd feel a lot better.

Wait, Bill got FIOS?  From the evil V***z**?!?