[wplug-erie] Welcome all!

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Fri Oct 8 19:19:45 EDT 2004

I guess I should say, don't count these opinions as those of a erielug
member. I'm only subscribed to the list because I manage the wplug mailman
setup and I usually subscribe myself to all lists I create.
More responses in-line.

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 erielug at bekit.net wrote:
> 1. Would anyone object to moving the mode of communication from this
> current mailing list to an online forum format? I know that there are
> quite a few forum apps available that could be fully configurable.
> Personally, I think mailing lists are great for announcements and
> one-way communication, but gets to be a pain when there are a lot of
> regular communication could be done through a web-based forum.

I personally find web forums more of a pain. I forget to check them for
months at a time. At one point I wanted to setup something in conjunction
with mailman that would allow both methods to work, but as time goes on,
my free time approaches 0.

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004, Teodorski, Chris wrote:
> I think this is a cool idea, I'm an IRC junky so I also like the idea of
> an IRC channel.

I'm not opposed to a erielug IRC channel, I just think it fits a different
niche than a mailing list or web forum, and should be used in conjunction,
not as a mailing list alternative.

-james