[wplug-bsd] passwd and group files

Michael Mulich mrmst13 at rmu.edu
Wed Feb 8 12:53:57 EST 2006

This is a fairly general question...  I have control(through my
internship) of a virtual private server(vps) running
FreeBSD(4.7-RELEASE-p28).  The server is through viaverio.com.  I'm in
the process of migrating from one vps(version1) to the other
vps(version2), and their migration tool didn't work out for me, as was
hoped.  I come from a linux background therefore know many of the
similarities, but to clarify and make sure i don't have to backtrack i
thought i'd use the wisdom you have to provide.
I want to manually change the /etc/{passwd, group} files.  Only thing
i'm worried about is whatever the file that is similar to /etc/shadow in
linux not matching up correctly, which i believe is pwd.db?  Is there a
prog available that re-writes the shadow file?
I've got some time to either do it with pw or try the manual way, so i'm
in no rush.
thank you much,

Michael Mulich
Email:  mrmst13 at rmu.edu