[wplug-bsd] passwd and group files

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Wed Feb 8 13:45:01 EST 2006

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006, Michael Mulich wrote:

> This is a fairly general question...  I have control(through my
> internship) of a virtual private server(vps) running
> FreeBSD(4.7-RELEASE-p28).  The server is through viaverio.com.  I'm in
> the process of migrating from one vps(version1) to the other
> vps(version2), and their migration tool didn't work out for me, as was
> hoped.  I come from a linux background therefore know many of the
> similarities, but to clarify and make sure i don't have to backtrack i
> thought i'd use the wisdom you have to provide.
> I want to manually change the /etc/{passwd, group} files.  Only thing
> i'm worried about is whatever the file that is similar to /etc/shadow in

The shadow password is the "master.passwd", which is only touchable via
suid binaries like login, chfn, passwd, chsh, etc.

Use vipw(8) to edit it manually.  The encryption method of the password
field is defined in login.conf:

default:\
         :passwd_format=md5:\

Also vipw(8) will run pwd_mkdb(8) for you afterwords, which generates the
secure and insecure password databases.

It's all about security....

Cheers!
~lava