[wplug-bsd] Frequent page faults -- getting on my nerves

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Sun May 8 16:46:29 EDT 2005

On Sun, 8 May 2005, Bill Moran wrote:

>> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Bill Moran wrote:
>>
>>> If this is happening this often, you can debug the kernel.
>>> First, subscribe to one of the FreeBSD developer lists.  Then update to the
>>> current 4.x-STABLE (4.10 has been superceded by 4.11).  Then, follow the
>>> instructions below to set up your system to debug the problem:
>>>
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html
>>>

> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html
>
> If you have specific questions about the processs, give a holler.

Kudos once again to the FreeBSD documentation team!  I now understand the
meanings of 'buildworld' and 'mergemaster' and all that.  And I'm now
running on the *latest* 4.11-STABLE, with my custom kernel and all.  I
also turned on dumpdev in /etc/rc.conf so next time a panic happens I'll
have the dump to debug.

So, my hat is off to you all.

> Have you had a chance to run memtest on this machine for any length of time?
> Frequent problems like that suggest buggy memory to me.

I ran memtest in single user mode, but it complained that it couldn't
mlock the memory it allocated.  THe man page says memtest is 'mostly
pointless' in that case.

It didn't report any errors, though.

In any case, we'll see.

Thanks again.