[wplug-bsd] More NIC hassle

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jul 9 01:35:36 EDT 2005

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 01:00:43 -0400 (EDT)
Brandon Kuczenski <brandon at 301south.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Tom Rhodes wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 19:12:12 -0400 (EDT)
> > Brandon Kuczenski <brandon at 301south.net> wrote:
> >
> >> This is unbelievable.  Same box, running FreeBSD 5.3.  I have another card
> >> in now, using the de driver, but NOW the old card -- the one that worked
> >> up until now -- is having the same problem: "no route to host" when
> >> netstat -rn is fine and ifconfig is fine.  I can't even ping the router --
> >> I get "no route to host" for any address except localhost.
> >>

> > Do you have the devd daemon running from rc.conf?
> > What is the output from:
> > # kldstat
> >
> > Is the bpf device built into the kernel?
> >
> > Do you have miibus in your kernel file?
> >
> > Sorry if these questions were already asked but I haven't been
> > paying attention due to lack of time.  My apologies.
> >

> I'm sorry for wasting everyone's (and also my own) time.  Who would have
> guessed that a faulty ipf setup would result in a 'no route to host'
> error?

Heh, this is why I asked for the output of kldstat.  To see what
modules are loaded; however, I'm not an IPF user.  Thus it may
not have shown up, been awhile since I've looked at a LINT file.

> Yes, the problem was IPF -- apparently, I was not allowing traffic out on
> the internal interface.  This is unusual for a number of reasons, in
> particular:
>   - I basically copied and pasted the ipf.rules generating script from my
> home system, where I have no problems;
>   - the error message is not at all indicative of an ipf problem.  I view
> this as possibly a reportable bug.  Perhaps those of you up to your
> shoulders in grease from BSD internals can illuminate my confusion, but
> "no route to host" when a perfectly suitable route exists in the routing
> table seems a misnomer at best.  What do you think?

Whenever I get "no route to host" I always begin looking at loaded
modules.

> I still don't have the second NIC working, but at least I'm to the point
> of timeout errors instead of route rejections.  The current problem could
> also be in the 'dsl router' I'm using, as well.

Have you tried device polling for this, it might help with
the timout errors.[1]  Read the polling(4) manual page for
some information.

> By the way, both bpf and the miibus are in the kernel.
>
> Thanks again for reading.

Heh, no problem, glad everything is working.

[1]: I reserve the right to be wrong.

--
Tom Rhodes