[wplug-bsd] Net configuration still not working

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Mon Jul 11 17:48:54 EDT 2005

So I am still struggling with this FreeBSD 5.3 router.  Here's the network
layout:

 		128.2.56.1  CMU-operated gateway (netmask 255.255.252.0)

 	/-----------------------\
 	|  xl0:  128.2.57.58/22	|
 	|	BSD BOX		|
 	| pcn0: 192.168.1.2/24	|
 	\-----------------------/

 		     |  +-------------------- 192.168.1.20/24
 		     |  |			my laptop
 		W    L  L  L  L
 		192.168.1.1/24
 		Linksys WRT54GS

The linksys router has a WAN port (indicated by W - not used) and four LAN
ports (indicated by L).  It has been told to act as a 'router' rather than
as a 'gateway'.  I've tried using other plugs and switching plugs.

OUTSIDE: normal operation. I can ping my gateway and google.com from the
BSD box, and I can connect to other computers via ssh.  Other computers
can view the webpage at http://leduc.me.cmu.edu

INSIDE PING: From the laptop, I can 'ping 192.168.1.1' and the router
responds.  From the BSD box, I ping the same address and get 'host is
down'.

INSIDE SSH: From the laptop, 'ssh 192.168.1.1' gives connection refused
(as expected) and 'ssh 192.168.1.2' gives 'no route to host'.  But from
the BSD box, 'ssh 192.168.1.1' gives 'host is down'.

I've tried switching network cables -- both work from the laptop, neither
work from the BSD box.  I tried using xl0 (the card nominally used for the
external internet) to connect to the internal network and got the same
results.

All the routing and network config information looks sane.  I posted the
output of the following commands at http://301south.net/~b/debug.net :

# netstat -rn    	(shows routing table)
# ifconfig		(shows interfaces)
# ipfstat -i		(shows IP filter input rules - allow all)
# ipfstat -o		(shows IP filter output rules - allow all)
# ipnat -l		(shows NAT table)
# kldstat		(nothing interesting)
# route get 192.168.1.1
# ping 192.168.1.1

(all as root).

I'm'a stumped.  Totally baffled.  Without recourse.  In response to Tom
Rhodes' questions, yes bpf and miibus are both in the kernel.

?
???
??
?
?
????????
?
?

I guess this will be my last post on the topic.  Next week I'm putting
Linux on the box, if I can't get it working with BSD (my preferred
choice).

Thanks for reading,
Brandon