[wplug-board] Next board meeting

Joseph Prostko joe.prostko at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 14:26:21 EST 2014

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 9:09 PM, Justin Smith <justin at adminix.net> wrote:
> That's okay, Joe. At least you're saving people from Metro. I can't think of
> many things worse than Microsoft dumbing down their interface even farther
> by giving people a collection of Fisher-Price tiles to play with.

Finally got it done on Sunday after about 10 hours.  Most of that time
was spent installing the Windows updates which requires multiple
rounds to get all of them downloaded.  Well, that and I had to get all
the basic applications installed and running as well.  I couldn't get
the VPN software (Cisco AnyConnect) for her work to actually function
though, since it said the PC didn't meet the security requirements.
It doesn't tell you what failed though, so I have no clue what is
wrong.  The VPN client didn't work on my Windows installation either,
which is a fairly minimal installation as well.  I have all of the
required software on the instruction sheet installed, so who knows.  I
probably I have to downgrade IE 11 to IE 10 or something stupid to
make it happy.

> Did you ever see this picture comparing Windows 8 to AOL Kids circa 1996?
> The resemblance is uncanny.

No, I never saw that picture.  That is pretty funny.  :)

> Meanwhile, I found out about a nifty dropdown terminal for KDE called
> Yakuake. Just press F12 to bring down a terminal from the top of the screen,
> and F12 retracts it again. It's more useful than you would think.

There is something like that in the latest Manjaro XFCE, I think.  I
will have to reinstall it to confirm that was what I was running at
the time.  Anyway,  I pretty much instantly hated it and turned off
the shortcut button for it.  I think it was mapped to CTRL+T, which
made using any web browser a pain.  I also rely exclusively on virtual
desktops for my workflows, so I always have a terminal waiting for me
with a CTRL+F1 anyway.

> I freaking love KDE.

I tried KDE again lately, and couldn't stand to look at it.  It just
looks really, really ugly to me.  The last time I remember it looking
okay was back in the 3.5 days, although that was probably the last
time I used it seriously for more than 1 hour.

Anyway, if it functions well and looks great to you, that's awesome.
It's good we have choice.  I don't see me making the switch anytime
soon, or ever, but it's good to know that I could if i ever felt like
it.  :)

- joe