[wplug-board] Presentation status

Justin Smith justin at adminix.net
Wed Apr 16 09:56:34 EDT 2014

We should consider that classes at Pittsburgh Filmmakers will be coming
to an end in the near future. If we bumped Roland back into July - the
next GUM month - then classes would be out, and I think turnout would be
considerably lower as a result.

I can see why Vance would say that Git would appeal more to "our
people." He's right - the developers and system administrators we've
traditionally catered to might not find Blender as relevant. Consider,
however, that we've done virtually nothing to appeal to the multimedia
professionals who use (or may be open to using) open source software.
This is an opportunity for us to bring additional professionals into the
fold. We're not deviating from our original plan to focus on business
use.

If open source catches on at Pittsburgh Filmmakers, it could be
incorporated into the curriculum. If that happens...well, I'm just
saying, it would be great to partner with an educational institution.
WPLUG has a precedent for that sort of thing :)

We've been looking for a way to "get the word out," and to me, this is
it. We can appeal to far more people than we ordinarily could, and
there's the _potential_ for a working relationship with Filmmakers if
things go unexpectedly well.

Of course, for all I know, Roland can't even come during May. Since
people seem to be nudging me to take the lead on this, I'll send him
some potential dates.
---

JUSTIN SMITH

"Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work
done."
-Linus Torvalds