[wplug-board] Coinbase news (excerpts from their official blog)

Justin Smith justin at js-wordsmith.com
Wed Aug 28 12:40:15 EDT 2013

If you wanted more confirmation that our decision to use Coinbase for online payments was the right one, here you go! WPLUG won't pay any processing fees on transactions for the forseeable future, and Coinbase just released a WordPress plugin that supports online payments.

Justin

*Your first $1,000,000 USD in merchant processing is now free! *

Aug 26, 2013 12:47 pm | Anonymous

We’ve long believed that merchant adoption is key to bitcoin going mainstream, and the next large phase of bitcoin usage will be as customers spend their bitcoin with more merchants. With that in mind, we wanted to lower all barriers for new merchants to get started, and help highlight some of the economic benefits of accepting bitcoin.

Today we’ve decided to announce free processing on your first $1,000,000.00 USD in orders for all merchants.

This waives our previous fee of 1%.  For your first one million USD (equivalent at the time of purchase) in bitcoin merchant orders our fee will be 0%. This offer is available to all customers, so if you haven’t already sign up and create an account.

*We Just Released A WordPress Plugin!*

Aug 13, 2013 11:44 am | Anonymous

The Coinbase WordPress plugin is now available.  The plugin makes it super easy to add bitcoin payment buttons to more than 68 million WordPress websites around the world, and is */completely open source/*.

If you have a WordPress powered website, simply:

1. Visit your admin section and click Plugins -> Add New.  Then search for “Coinbase”.

2. Once you’ve installed the plugin, visit the Settings -> Coinbase page, and follow the instruction to connect it with your Coinbase account.

You’ll be taken to a screen like this:

Notice that you are only authenticating the widget to create payment buttons with your Coinbase account, and nothing else.  It won’t have access to send, receive, or do anything else with your account.

This makes use of the very handy oauth permissions in our API.

3. Now that the widget is enabled you can add a bitcoin payment button anywhere on your blog using one of two methods:

a “short code” that looks like this:

[coinbase_button name=”Alpaca Socks” price_string=”10.00” price_currency_iso=”CAD”]

You can add any customizable values as described in our documentation.  This works on any page or location of your site.

using the WordPress “widget” which will appear in the right sidebar of your app.

The Coinbase WordPress button is also completely open source, so feel free to modify it as you see fit.

We hope you enjoy it, and as always feel free to send us any feedback if you encounter difficulties.

Special thanks go to Isaac Waller for helping create the plugin.