[wplug-board] Linode cost information

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Thu Jul 26 12:25:59 EDT 2012

As discussed at our last meeting:

We are currently subscribed to Linode's "Linode 512" plan (which gives
us a virtual private server with 512 meg of memory, 20 gig of disk, and
200 gig/month of bandwidth).  This is Linode's low-end plan, but has
been adequate for our needs for a long time, and I don't see that
changing anytime soon.

The cost of this plan is $19.95/month.  There is a prepayment discount
of 10% if you pay for 12 months in advance, and a 15% discount if you
pay for 24 months in advance.  At our last renewal, we paid for 24
months in advance and took advantage of the 15% discount.  Our current
prepaid service expires on September 30th 2012.

If we again prepay for 24 months in advance, we will need to make a
payment of $406.98 in September ($19.95 times 24, less 15%).  If we want
to instead renew the service for only 12 months (and only get a 10%
discount), we will need to make a payment in September of $215.46.
Prepayment also locks in our rate and shields us from unexpected price
increases during the period of service that we've prepaid for.  We could
also opt to go to month-to-month service, but not only do we lose all
discounts if we do that, we also put the service in jeopardy of
inadvertently being suspended if something messes up with the monthly
payments (i.e., someone forgets to make a payment, debit card expires or
is cancelled due to reorganization of the board or board member
responsibilities, and also subjects us to whatever rate increases Linode
may choose to implement in the future (though in all fairness, the rate
for the Linode 512 plan has been $19.95/month since approximately
forever, and I've heard no rumors that they intend to increase it
anytime soon).

--Pat.