[wplug-board] SFD DVDs

Terence J. Golightly terencejgolightly at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 16:25:56 EDT 2011

On 09/03/2011 11:50 PM, Vance Kochenderfer wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 03, 2011 at 10:01:04AM -0400, Terence J. Golightly wrote:
>> I did notice that on the Freeculture disc Big Buck Bunny
>> and other Blender animations.  Plus lots of docs on the philosophy of
>> FOSS.  This if anything is a really nice addition to the set of discs.
>> However, I am underwhelmed by the Open Distro disc.  It has Debian and
>> several distros that I have never heard of.
>
> I can't download the ISO images; is there a description somewhere
> listing what they all contain?

Ok I did get these images, but there is a problem with the OpenDisc.
The linux installer kiwix-installer-linux is broken.  this script looks
for xulrunner-linux folder.  Its not there and fails.  It works for
windows though. I did send an email to the sfd Mailing list
 regarding it.  I know that OpenDisc is maintain elsewhere, however they
are the ones putting it out as an "official" SFD distribution.

>> Another thing, I forgot at the meeting to mention that we need to print
>> Fliers and maybe a banner for our booth.
>
> There's a flyer we generated a few years ago on the wiki at
> <http://www.wplug.org/wiki/Image:Sfd-2007-flyer.pdf>.  It was
> based on a template from SFD.  It's out of date in that it refers
> to the old OpenCD, but may be useful to look at when developing
> one for this year.

I believe on the FreeCulture dvd there are documentation/papers produced
by SFD and others for our purposes.  However, they do have some
documentation on the SFD wiki regarding this.  I'll look back into this.

> I think we looked into a banner some time back and found it to be
> rather expensive.  The laminated signs we use for GUMs will
> probably work (maybe one on the front of the table, one on the
> wall behind?).  If the ones we have are looking too shabby, we can
> get new ones made.

I suppose I/we could just create one based on SFD graphics.  But graphic
software is not my strong suit.  Gang, particularly Jim, sincer you're
going to be manning the table with me, could you drop me an email
regarding what you think of theses graphics:

http://wiki.softwarefreedomday.org/Artwork

And of course I want the rest of the board's feedback.

Thats all for now.  I am trying to concentrate on my interview for
Wednesday.  It looks like a real challenge.  Does anybody know the
difference between a ccr and a scr?  I did Google it.  Looks like they
both have something to do with magnetic card reading.

Regards,

Terry

--
Vice Chairman The Western Pennsylvania Linux User's Group
vicechair at wplug.org
http://wplug.org