[wplug-board] Meeting and homework

chris at teodorski.com chris at teodorski.com
Mon Oct 30 14:37:55 EST 2006

All,

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend tonights meeting.  Monday's
generally suck for me schedule-wise and this is no acception.  I have
however written up my homework and hope that you all will take it into
consideration tonight.

I did enjoy working with you all over the last year.  I'm sure you guys
will do a great job going forward.  I'm always available for consultation
-- cause as you all know I got a head full of opinions.

Chris

1.What did you do that went well?

As we all joked, as the Director-at-Large, I didn't have any bylaws
dictated roles. So I didn't have much to do.  I would like think that I
added some value to the discussions (aside from the occasional comedy
relief)

2.What went poorly?

I think the meetings NEED to work better and run tighter, both the board
meetings and the membership meetings.  I know that no one wants to be the
"bad guy" but sometimes someone needs to.  I think for the board meetings,
people need to be on time and the meetings need to have a hard start and a
hard stop time.  All of us have a life, families, responsibilities etc
outside of WPLUG that often have a low tolerance for schedule creep.

I think the membership meetings need to have a tight agenda and someone to
drive through that agenda.  I think the reading of the minutes from the
previous meeting should be stopped. It seems to serve no purpose other
then to kill any momentum the meeting may have.  To that end, the meeting
minutes need to have been delivered to the membership in time for them to
review and suggest any changes.  I understand the desire to get the
minutes correct, but like I said above, it seems to just pull all the wind
out of the sails.

I have a suggestion for the Director-at-Large.  I suggest you change his
role to that of Meeting Conductor.    Task him with understanding the
"rules of order" and actually conducting the meeting.  I think it would
give the role a functional task and take that responsibility away from the
Chairperson.

3.How could the position run better?

See above.

4.Who were key contacts for you?

Didn't really have any "key contacts"

5.What would you like to see the position do?

Apparently everything I have to say is in #2.