[wplug-board] Report and Plans

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Oct 30 13:31:38 EST 2006

I hadn't planned on sending around all the plans and all that, but Dave
started it and I think it's a great idea.  We'll still discuss and come
up with one solid plan for everyone tonight.  In the mean time, here's
some light reading for you all -- my comments on the past year and plans
for the future

--Patrick

Treasurer Yearly Report:

Major Duties of the Treasurer:
 * Provide a financial report to the membership at each meeting
 * Maintain the records in an accounting pacakge and provide the data for
   members to examine.
 * Enact all correspondence with the bank
 * Approve funding requests (force people to do them too)
 * Write checks for reimbursement
 * Provide change at the meetings

Additional responsibilities which may be relevant:
 * Renew the PO box in January

What was good over the past year:
 * Finally have some sense of control over the books of WPLUG
   * bank account is reasonably balanced
   * no longer bleeding money
 * Adopted accounting software to manage money (JGnash)
 * Brought new organization to WPLUG
   * PO Box makes us more professional
 * Divided up financial responsibility so people can buy snacks
 * Spent money on very needed items
   * Switches
   * Cooler
   * Food for elections
   * Giveaway Prizes
 * New funding process in place
   * Provides a paper trail for when funds are spent, allows people in the
     future to track how we spent the money, who approved it, etc.

Problems for the past year:
 * We still don't have all the account information cleaned up, in particular we
   need to get the situation with the paypal account straightened out.
 * Despite having the funding mechanisms in place, people continued to ignore
   it.  Going out and spending money without consulting the treasurer or filling
   out the forms.
 * Paperwork for meetings wasn't the answer I thought it would be.  While it
   initially worked okay, if I wasn't hand-holding everything it just wouldn't
   get filled out.  When I hosted meetings I was often too busy to make sure it
   all got taken care of.
 * Funds approved at board meetings without a formal notification to the
   treasurer or consultation of the amount of money we had.  If funds are to be
   allocated, we need to at least check to see if we have them.  The allocation
   of funds while I was in Honduras was particularly worrysome.
 * We need better record keepin on the refreshement fund.

Now I'll copy some of Dave's post with question and answers.

Q: How could the position run better?
A: Keep a much tighter control on the finances.  Although now we have
documentation for many things, we still don't have documentation for all the
money we spend (and receive).  To me this is a large problem, especially in
terms of accountability to the membership.

Q: Who were key contacts for you?