[wplug-board] WPLUG's legal status

David Ostroske eksortso at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 08:46:20 EST 2006

On 2/17/06, Patrick Wagstrom <pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> I'm not sure whether that affects us or not. I submitted the form as an
> "informal group" today.

Cool, that. No big worries about legal status, I was simply curious.

> > What would the expense be for renting a PO box for a year? What would
> > it be for a phone number?
>
> I'll look into these.  The cheapest phone number solution is probably to
> use a VOIP number that goes into a voicemailbox and gets emailed to
> someone.  Asterisk can do this really cheap.  Actually, it's possible to
> get a free phone number for VOIP, but only in Washington state area
> codes.  Suckage.

That's basically what I was thinking of, a dial-in-only voicemail
setup. And if we can do it via Asterisk, then bonus!

It would be nice to have a free number. VoIP is still a young
industry, and if anyone wants in on Western PA, we'd start hearing
more about it. Until then, yeah, suckage. I wouldn't mind paying for a
number, as long as we don't exceed (say) twenty bucks a year. Ha ha
ha.

We've got several members who work in telephony. Let me float
something on the mailing list, see if anyone knows anything more about
VoIP in the Pittsburgh area. We could cross-promote with anyone who'd
want to work with us.

--
David Ostroske <eksortso at gmail.com>