[wplug-board] WPLUG's legal status

David Ostroske eksortso at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 10:11:50 EST 2006

On 2/16/06, Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:
> Patrick Wagstrom <pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
[...]
> > So FreeNode needs to know the legal status of our organization if we
> > want a channel.  My choices are probably going to be:

This begs a question...

Does FreeNode prefer certain types of organizations? Would legal
status be a deciding factor in whether they will reserve #wplug for
us?

> While we were putting the bylaws together, Vance researched this and
> determine that "unincorporated association" was the correct designation
> for our organization as it currently stands.

That's right, that's Pennsylvania law. IANAL, but that designation
probably applies across the country.

> > Do we have an official mailing address or phone number
> > for the group?  If we don't have those I need to register us as an
> > informal group.
>
> I don't know.  Could we get a PO box, perhaps?

I'm all for getting a PO box! I thought briefly that we could use the
mailing address for the election last year, but that turned out to be
a home address. Can't really do that.

What would the expense be for renting a PO box for a year? What would
it be for a phone number?

--
David Ostroske <eksortso at gmail.com>