[wplug-board] Self nomination for Chair of WPLUG - Beth Lynn Eicher

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Wed Nov 19 17:26:35 EST 2003

Self nomination for Chair of WPLUG
Submitted by Beth Lynn Eicher

Please give me an opportunity to further serve the WPLUG community as
Chair. If appointed, I will step down as Treasurer two months after I gain
office. If there are no objections, notice of my candidacy will be
announced on the -plan list as well by linking this post.

Below I have outlined my entire campaign platform. Thank you for you
consideration.

Campaign Platform Outline
I Improve the overall quality of WPLUG meetings
II Recruit more volunteers and board members
III Listen to and IMPLEMENT good ideas that come out of the woodwork
IV Investigate other ways that WPLUG can serve the Linux community in PA
and beyond
V Continue the tradition of recruiting one "big ticket" speaker each
year.

I Improve the overall quality of WPLUG meetings
It seems I've been fighting an uphill battle ever since I've started
volunteering for WPLUG over 2 years ago which is trying to prove WPLUG
does not suck. Most
of the criticism is focused on the quality, value, and variety of
meetings. Sure, we've come a long way from the chaos that emerged after
the Landefeld's departure, yet we are not at the professional level we
could be.

I often think back on the days of PittLug(RIP) and the ideas that they had
envisioned would make an awesome lug.
A Talks without tangents from the peanut gallery.
B A good variety of talks for beginners, intermediate, and advanced users.
C More organized installfests with volunteers who were identifying
themselves as such to help folks though the challenges.
D A fraction of the meeting would be set aside for SIGs for smaller group
discussion if time and interest permits.
E Have a real schedule to give a professional flow of the meeting

PittLug felt that WPLUG was not community that business folks from all
over South Western PA would find worthwhile for an educational experience.
They were on the verge of doing something but they lacked the momentum to
get going. WPLUG can be that LUG that the PittLugers dreamed of, maybe
better!

Here are some ideas I would like to implement to get this rolling
1.A host and a co-host(s) are assigned to every WPLUG meeting. This is
necessary for crowd control. One of the hosts could take minutes to be
posted later on the website. It would give a more professional touch if we
just come out and say who's here to volunteer for the day. Both board
members and the general membership will be called upon for these rolls.
2. We need to have a GUM chair. No if's, and's, or but's about it! As
Chair, I would make recruitment attempts until a willing and active person
is found to fill this role.
3. Name badges will be granted to anyone who asks to be identified as a
volunteer.  It will have their name and the area in which they are
volunteering that day.
4. A schedule will be posted as the meeting is announced via email. The
same schedule will be posted on the white board.
5. Time will be set aside for small group discussion 1pm-2pm during GUMs.
>From time to time someone shows up on the day of the GUM and is really
excited about a particular topic. Folks do want to listen, but we should
not distract away from the previously scheduled talk. If someone wants to
pre-schedule a discussion during this time, that would be fine too.
6.Optional name tags for everyone who shows up

II Recruit more volunteers and board members

I try to talk to everyone at meetings and folks have approached me in
having a real interest in helping and getting more involved in WPLUG.  As
Chair, I would delegate tasks and responsibilities to willing and capable
people. Anyone interested in board membership would be encouraged to apply
and would receive full consideration. As things currently stand, we could
use additional board membership to get things done.

III Listen to and IMPLEMENT good ideas that come out of the woodwork

There are many ideas that have been heard but have fallen through the
cracks, many because no one has volunteered to implement. Here are some to
name a few.
a. A general business card for WPLUG
b. A WPLUG library of some sort (or donating books to local libraries in
the name of WPLUG)
c. An appearance at the MarketPro computer show, at least on an annual
basis.
d. Name badges of some sort

I'm sure I could make this list go on but you get the idea.
I have noticed as a board member that the board may be disinterested or
may not have the  time to implement some of these ideas but that doesn't
mean that these ideas should be canned! As Chair I would recruit board
members and volunteers who are willing to do the legwork needed here.

I will continue to listen to everyone with legitimate concerns. Whining
from the peanut gallery from folks that do nothing to help things get
better will be ignored.

IV Investigate other ways that WPLUG can serve the Linux community in PA
and beyond

Many questions have come up over the mailing lists regarding if WPLUG is
truly serving the Western PA Linux community. WPLUG should offer a helping
hand to lugs that want to get started (ie Erie LUG?) Also we should look
into where everyone lives that is part of WPLUG. Might it be beneficial to
offer meetings outside CMU campus? Outside Allegheny County?  Should we
collaborate with other LUGs? Should we look beyond PA to work with other
opensource/freesoftware enthusiasts?

V Recruit one "big ticket" speaker each year

In 2002 we had someone come in from IBM to talk about Z-series
In 2003 we had David Blank-Edelman to talk about Perl for Sysadmins
In 2004 we need to recruit someone. As Chair, I would make a call for
suggestions.