[wplug-board] proposed emergency meeting

Mark Dalrymple wplug at badgertronics.com
Mon Jun 16 12:51:31 EDT 2003

> #1 Location
> People are suggesting that we move. I think we should be able to stay
> where we are if we are willing to stay the course through the summer.

yeah, knowing how long that (de)construction is going to take is
important.  If it's "should be done by end of summer", then that's
OK.  We could have "special time and place on Pitt Campus, but back
to CMU in the fall".  If it's going to be 6 months or more, then
finding a more convenient locale would be necessary.

Some questions (that don't need immediate answering) are Is the
parking deck open on weekends?  Is there another room on campus that
we could use that's closer to parking but still has the space / AV
facilities.

> #2 Loss of board members

We've got two spots open?

We should think of folks we'd like to work with. (we're too small to
really need a 'nominating committee')  Informally I asked redtoade if
he'd object if I brought up his name.  (he's cranky, but has made some
good suggestions to me in the past)  I think David Ostroske would be
interested too.  Folks could draw up names and discuss them (I don't
think such discussions belong on an archived mailing list)

> #3 Summer Picnic - July 26
> OK, So we've got the location that people were begging for this year

Advertise it on the mailing lists, and say we'll supply Super-Soakers :-)

> #5 Morale
> Please correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like the general morale is
> decreasing from what I noticed over the lists and during the may gum.

Yeah.  It could be the "it's the last minute and we don't have
anything planned" syndrome, plus students are leaving.  MarkDude was
kinda bummed.  Apparently someone told him that his impromptu rants
"weren't welcome" (which was a surprise to me - I rather enjoy them).

It's also the same folks each time, with maybe one newbie who gets
frightened away.

> If things aren't really this bad, please let me know.

I've been feeling a little depressed at recent GUMs.   June was kinda
lame (especially since the room didn't open til 10:30 - I dunno if
that sent anyone home)

Anyway, enough rambling (for now)
++md