[wplug-announce] New event - Open Source License Smackdown

Justin Smith justin at js-wordsmith.com
Sat Feb 2 18:36:54 EST 2013

Think you know about open source? Here's your chance to prove it! We've
decided to add an unconventional discussion event to next week's WPLUG
general user meeting (GUM) to break the trend of having nothing but
presentations.

We're going to put the names of 6 open source licenses in a hat:

-LGPL v3
-GPL v3
-Apache License
-MIT License
-Mozilla Public License
-Microsoft Reciprocal License

Everyone who wants to participate will take a license from the hat and
defend why it's the "best" for 5 minutes or so. The event will be a
series of rapid-fire discussions like you might see on ESPN.

At the very least, four members of our Board of Directors - Chair Pat,
yours truly, Treasurer Terry, and Director-at-Large Joe - will
participate. If other people want to try, we'll add more licenses to the
hat as necessary to accommodate them. If you get a license you don't
know about, we'll give you basic information about it and a few minutes
to think over what to say.

If you don't want to sit in the hot seat, that's fine! Just sit back,
relax, and learn about all the different ways you can "do" open source.
Will someone who hates one of these licenses have to defend it? (I hope
I don't get Apache or MIT...) Which poor sap will get the Microsoft
license? Tune in and find out!

And in related news, the Commission to Reform WPLUG had a very
productive meeting tonight. We'll be proposing a LOT of changes at the
GUM based on the survey comments we've received. Curious? Head over to
the CRW wiki page
<http://www.wplug.org/wiki/Commission_to_Reform_WPLUG#Accepted_Reform_Package_2_Proposals>
for a sneak peek!

--