[wplug-announce] General Users Meeting - Security Double-Header Saturday May 1st CMU NSH 1507

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Tue Apr 27 14:45:42 EDT 2004

Hello,

Western PA Linux Users Group will be hosting a General Users Meeting
with two separate security talks. It will be held on this Saturday
May 1st 2004 from 10am to 3 pm  at Newell Simon Hall 1507
This meeting is free and open to the general public.

Please visit our new Maps and Directions page
http://www.wplug.org/pages/wplugmap/
Please note that our phone number is currently 412 268 7564
If you've never been here before make sure you print out the directions!

GUM TOPIC: Linux Security Double-Header
Two talks with offer basic security advice for those who are new to Linux
as well as some more advanced topics for the more advanced users. If you
are not sure where to begin securing your home system this is for you.
If you would like some tips on monitoring your network of systems, these
talks are for you too.

Speakers:
Professor Christopher Belcher of Community College Of Allegheny County
Bill Moran of Potential Technologies

Hosted by Beth Lynn Eicher
Co-Host Jonathan Billings

1st TALK:
Christopher Belcher @ 11am Minimal Linux Configuration for Optimizing Security
1st TALK ABSTRACT:
We will cover the concepts of basic security under Linux that begin by
building a minimal system from the ground up for a specific purpose within
a network. We took the approach of a minimal system to mean that even with
a "minimal installation" choice under Red Hat Linux 9, there would still
be services and software packages installed that would not be necessary
for specific network applications (i.e., a firewall, mail server, etc.).
We will walk through a minimal installation routine and then proceeded to
examine the process by which a user could discover what services/packages
could be removed safely without affecting the system's prescribed
function. The installation does not include X Window or any GUI, so we
will use strictly command-line tools.

2nd TALK:
Bill Moran after lunch (~ 1pm) More about security
2nd TALK ABSTRACT:
We will cover a number of tools and techniques for actually implementing
security. He will cover the categories of hardening, monitoring and
"preemptive defense". A number of tools and techniques will be discussed,
as well as some real-world examples."

Schedule
* Doors will open at 10am to NSH 1507
* Coffee and Donut Hour 10am-11am in 1507
* Christopher Belcher's talk at 11am-Noon in 1305
* Geeks Eating Pizza Noon-ish - 1pm in NSH 1507
* Bill Morn's talk at 1pm-2pm
* General Socialization 2pm-3pm

Since the talks will be in the auditorium (NSH 1305) around the
corner from our regular meeting room (NSH 1507). Please arrive before the
talk begins so that you don't miss any part of the talk. However, if you
do happen to arrive late Brian Sammon will be in NSH 1507 to guide you to
1305.

Hope to see you there!

Beth Lynn

WPLUG upcoming attractions...
May 8  Installfest NSH 1507 10am - 5pm
June 5 General User Meeting: Topic TBA 10am-2pm
June 12 Tutorial: The basics of Linux 10am-3pm