Western Pennsylvania Linux Users Group
Welcome to the Western Pennsylvania Linux Users Group℠. We are a not-for-profit organization based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania that provides collaboration resources, including mailing lists, presentations, installfests, and this wiki for Linux users of all backgrounds.
See our about page for more background on us, Linux, and free/open source software.
Just like an open source software project, we develop WPLUG in collaboration with the community: everyone is free to contribute. What does Western PA need out of WPLUG℠? What do you need out of WPLUG? Join our mailing list and tell us!
Upcoming Meetings & Events
- Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 3:00 to 5:00pm - General User Meeting and Board of Directors election at HackPittsburgh - Topic: TBA
- Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 3:00 to 5:00pm - General User Meeting at HackPittsburgh - Topic: TBA
Got something technology-related on your mind? Even if you're not a WPLUG member, we invite you to answer our Call for Presentations and talk about it at one of our meetings.
See our future planning page for information about WPLUG's longer-term plans for meetings & events.
Upcoming Related Events
- Thursday, November 5, 2015, 6:30-9:00pm - PittMesh at WorkHardPGH - Topic: Ad-Hoc vs. Access Point mode and project discussions
- Wednesday, November 11, 2015, 7:00pm - PghQA at UPMC Enterprises - Topic: Bug Bash!
- Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 6:00 to 8:00pm - Pittsburgh Code and Supply at M*Modal - Topic: Apache Spark, Part 1 - Background and the Core
- Friday-Saturday, November 13-14, 2015 - RailsBridge Pittsburgh - Introduction to Ruby on Rails coding for women
- Friday-Sunday, November 13-15, 2015 - Carnegie Museum of Art - Topic: Hackathon: Reimagining a Collection
- Thursday, November 12, 2015, 7:00pm - Pittsburgh CocoaHeads
- Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 7:00pm - Pittsburgh Python User Group - Coding at IBM Squirrel Hill
- Thursday, January 14, 2016, 7:00pm - Steel City Information Security at Wombat Security Technologies - Topic: SDRs and Security
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to have your event posted here.
- PROPOSED: TechEventCalendar
Every WPLUG meeting and event is recorded in our past meetings page. You may also view slide presentations from previous meetings. If you're new to WPLUG, this will give you a better idea of what we do.
Things that WPLUG does which you can participate in.
- Membership - Join the hottest Linux users group in Western PA!
- Board Information - List of members on the WPLUG Board of Directors; records of WPLUG board meetings.
- Committee Information - List of WPLUG committees.
- Past Activities - Activities which are no longer ongoing. Let us know if you're interested in re-activating any of these.
WPLUG provides a variety of online resources to its members and the community at large. In fact, you're looking at one of them right now: the WPLUG wiki. We provide these resources as a way for our members to help each other, spread the word about Linux and other open source, and socialize.
- Mailing Lists - The WPLUG mailing lists are a big part of our community; there are several hundred subscribers. We have lists for topics ranging from general announcements to jobs and classified ads.
- Internet Relay Chat - A chat channel that we operate on the FreeNode IRC network. At times, this can be a very good way to get information.
- WPLUG members can get an @wplug.org e-mail address, and can also use our RSS aggregator (similar to Feedly, or the now-defunct Google Reader)
- Twitter - The official WPLUG Twitter account
- LinkedIn - A professional networking group used by many WPLUG members.
- Bylaws - WPLUG's governing rules.
- Special Rules of Order - Supplementary rules that address gaps in the bylaws.
- Meeting Checklist - What needs to be done at WPLUG general user meetings.
- Venues - Information on where WPLUG meets.
- Financial Documents - Forms to report expenses and request funding from WPLUG.
- Election Instructions - How to vote in WPLUG's board elections.
- Historical Documents - Organizational materials that are kept for future reference.
- Inventory - Stuff that belongs to WPLUG: who has it and where.
- TODO - Things that need to be done on the wiki.
Order clothing and other cool stuff with the WPLUG logo from CafePress.