Western Pennsylvania Linux Users Group
Welcome to the Western Pennsylvania Linux Users Group℠. We are a not-for-profit organization based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania that provides collaboration resources, including mailing lists, presentations, installfests, and this wiki for Linux users of all backgrounds.
See our about page for more background on us, Linux, and free/open source software.
Just like an open source software project, we develop WPLUG in collaboration with the community: everyone is free to contribute. What does Western PA need out of WPLUG℠? What do you need out of WPLUG? Join our mailing list and tell us!
Upcoming Meetings & Events
- Saturday, October 12, 2013 - Software Freedom Day celebration + WPLUG Board of Directors 2014 nominations
Got something technology-related on your mind? Even if you're not a WPLUG member, we invite you to answer our Call for Presentations and talk about it at one of our meetings.
See our future planning page for information about WPLUG's longer-term plans for meetings & events.
Upcoming Related Events
- Friday-Sunday, October 4-6, 2012 - Pittsburgh Perl Workshop - at Pittsburgh Technical Institute in Oakdale
- Tuesday, October 8, 2012, 7:00pm - Drupal Pittsburgh Meetup, Subject: Improving the Content Managers Experience - at Beyond Spots & Dots near Duquesne University
- November 3-8, 2013 - USENIX Large Installation System Administration Conference - in Washington, D.C.
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to have your event posted here.
- PROPOSED: TechEventCalendar
The past related events page has examples of what we've done in the past.
Every WPLUG meeting and event is recorded in our past meetings page. If you're new to WPLUG, this will give you a better idea of what we do.
WPLUG provides a variety of online resources to its members and the community at large. In fact, you're looking at one of them right now: the WPLUG wiki. We provide these resources as a way for our members to help each other, spread the word about Linux and other open source, and socialize.
- Mailing Lists - The WPLUG mailing lists are a big part of our community; there are several hundred subscribers. We have lists for topics ranging from general announcements to jobs and classified ads.
- Membership - Join the hottest Linux users group in Western PA!
- Internet Relay Chat - A chat channel that we operate on the FreeNode IRC network. At times, this can be a very good way to get information.
- Certification Study Group - A self-study group is forming for participants to assist each other in obtaining Linux certification.
- Twitter - The official WPLUG Twitter account
- Linkedin - A professional networking group used by many WPLUG members.
- Ohio Linux Presentations - Recordings of presentations at the 2009 Ohio Linux Fest held September 25 and 26, 2009 in Columbus OH. The theme was "40 years of UNIX."
- CPOSC Talks - Slides from Central PA Open Source Conference held October 17, 2009 at Harrisburg University. Attendance about 150.
- Other Interesting Organizations - We're not the only game in town. Go and explore!
- Commission to Reform WPLUG - An informal group created to fix long-standing problems in WPLUG.
- Bylaws - WPLUG's governing rules.
- Special Rules of Order - Supplementary rules that address gaps in the bylaws.
- Meeting Checklist - What needs to be done at WPLUG general user meetings.
- Venues - Information on where WPLUG meets.
- Financial Documents - Forms to report expenses and request funding from WPLUG.
- Committee Information - List of WPLUG committees.
- Board Information - List of members on the WPLUG Board of Directors; records of WPLUG board meetings.
- Election Instructions - How to vote in WPLUG's board elections.
- Historical Documents - Organizational materials that are kept for future reference.
- Inventory - Stuff that belongs to WPLUG: who has it and where.
- TODO - Things that need to be done on the wiki.
- Wilkins School Network - Design, deploy and maintain a network for the Wilkin School Community Center.
- MediaWiki - The software that powers this wiki
- There is interest in a new users' sig
- WPLUG SETI@home Team - Our team to assist with experiments for the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI).
- WPLUG Rosetta@home Team - Team to "help to determine the 3-dimensional shapes of proteins in research that may ultimately lead to finding cures for some major human diseases."
- BOINC - Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing
Order clothing and other cool stuff with the WPLUG logo from CafePress.