Western Pennsylvania Linux Users Group
Welcome to the Western Pennsylvania's Linux Users' group. WPLUG was founded sometime around Friday September 26th at 11:37:08 EDT 1997 and we support Western PA's Linux community. The group is a not-for-profit organization that provides collaboration resources, including mailing lists, monthly presentations and quarterly installfests, for Linux users of all backgrounds.
Experienced Linux users are welcome; curious persons wanting to see what Linux is all about are welcome -- There are no requirements to join our lists. However, the discussions will be Linux/FOSS oriented.
We are a Linux Users Group based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania so most of our members are from South Western PA and the Greater Tri-State area. If you are looking for something in north western PA, please check our sister LUG, Erie Lug.
We're working hard at developing our organization. If you think you can help, we'd appreciate any ideas you have. We'd like to hear your thoughts: What does Western PA need out of WPLUG? What do you need out of WPLUG? Join the list and tell us!
Upcoming Meetings & Events
- June: Thursday June 19, 2008 June Table Topics meeting, "Please Won't You Be My Neighbor"
- June: Saturday June 28, 2008 June General Users meeting, Speaker: Jonathan Daniel of Wellspring Software topic To Be Announced Soon
- July: Saturday July 12, 2008 July General Users Meeting, Speaker needed
- August: Saturday August 16, 2008 August Installfest
- September General User Meeting date September 13 - Nominations, Speaker: Patrick Wagstrom
- Saturday, September 20, 2008 - SoftwareFreedomDay
- October General User Meeting October 4, 2008 - Elections
For longer term planning and discussion about future meetings, please see the upcoming meetings page.
Upcoming Related Events
- Thursday, July 17, 2008 - Pittsburgh Technology Council | Summer Slam VII @ Calico Jack's 5p - 8p
Feel free to see the previous related events page for examples of what we have done in the past.
For information on previous meetings, please see the past meetings page. If you are new to WPLUG, this will give you an idea of WPLUGs activity level and what sort of things we do.
- Sunday May 18, 2008 - Snyder Park, Whitehall - Annual Open Source Picnic
- Wednesday April 23, 2008 - Venue: John Harvard's Brew House - Round Table Topic: What do you get for free?
WPLUG provides a variety of online resources to its members and the community at large, in fact, you're looking at one of these resources right now -- the WPLUG wiki. We provide these resources as a way for our members to help each other, spread the word about Linux and other open source, and generally just socialize.
- Mailing Lists - The WPLUG mailing lists are a big part of our community. We have specific lists for many different issues, ranging from general announcements, to jobs, to people trying to sell stuff in our marketplace.
- ByLaws - How is WPLUG governed.
- Membership - Become a member of the hottest Linux Users Group in Western PA.
- Internet Relay Chat - This is a realtime chat facility that we operate on the FreeNode IRC network. At times this can be a very good way to get information.
- Certification Study Group - A self-study group is forming for participants to assist each other in obtaining Linux certification.
- The Open Pitt - The official newsletter of WPLUG.
- Meeting Checklist - this is what needs to be done for each meeting and the responsibilities of each person.
- Financial Documents - links to the forms and instructions from the WPLUG treasurer.
- Committee Information - Listing of WPLUG Committees and members
- Board Information - information on meetings of the WPLUG board
- Voting Information - Members of WPLUG may vote in elections and on referendums
- Historical Documents - Organizational materials that are kept for future reference
- WPLUG SETI@home Team - Our team to assist with experiments for the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI).
- WPLUG Rosetta@home Team - Team to "help to determine the 3-dimensional shapes of proteins in research that may ultimately lead to finding cures for some major human diseases."
- BOINC - Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing
Order clothing and other cool stuff with the WPLUG logo from CafePress.