Western Pennsylvania Linux Users Group
We are wplug (of borg), Western Pennsylvania's Linux Users' group. Founded sometime around Friday September 26th at 11:37:08 EDT 1997, we support Western PA's Linux community. The group is a not-for-profit, educational organization that provides a mailing list for Linux users of all backgrounds.
Experienced Linux users are welcome; Curious persons wanting to see what Linux is all about are welcome--There are no requirements to join the list. However, the discussions will be Linux oriented.
We are a Linux Users Group based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania so most of our members are from South Western PA and the Greater Tri-State area. If you are looking for something in North Western PA, please check our sister LUG, Erie Lug. If you're looking for a group in another location, then here's a good spot to start.
We're working hard at developing our organization. If you think you can help, we'd appreciate any ideas you have. We'd like to hear your thoughts: What does Western PA need out of WPLUG? What do you need out of WPLUG? Join the list and tell us!
Upcoming Meetings & Events
- Wednesday April 23, 2008 - Venue: John Harvard's Brew House - Round Table Topic: What do you get for free?
- Sunday May 18, 2008 - Snyder Park, Whitehall - Annual Open Source Picnic
For longer term planning and discussion about future meetings, please see the upcoming meetings page.
Upcoming Related Events
Feel free to see the previous related events page for examples of what we have done in the past.
For information on previous meetings, please see the past meetings page. If you are new to WPLUG, this will give you an idea of WPLUGs activity level and what sort of things we do.
WPLUG provides a variety of online resources to its members and the community at large, in fact, you're looking at one of these resources right now -- the WPLUG wiki. We provide these resources as a way for our members to help each other, spread the word about Linux and other open source, and generally just socialize.
- Mailing Lists - The WPLUG mailing lists are a big part of our community. We have specific lists for many different issues, ranging from general announcements, to jobs, to people trying to sell stuff in our marketplace.
- ByLaws - How is WPLUG governed.
- Membership - Become a member of the hottest Linux Users Group in Western PA.
- Internet Relay Chat - This is a realtime chat facility that we operate on the FreeNode IRC network. At times this can be a very good way to get information.
- Certification Study Group - A self-study group is forming for participants to assist each other in obtaining Linux certification.
- The Open Pitt - The official newsletter of WPLUG.
- Meeting Checklist - this is what needs to be done for each meeting and the responsibilities of each person.
- Financial Documents - links to the forms and instructions from the WPLUG treasurer.
- Committee Information - Listing of WPLUG Committees and members
- Board Information - information on meetings of the WPLUG board
- Voting Information - Members of WPLUG may vote in elections and on referendums
- WPLUG SETI@home Team - Our team to assist with experiments for the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI).
- WPLUG Rosetta@home Team - Team to "help to determine the 3-dimensional shapes of proteins in research that may ultimately lead to finding cures for some major human diseases."
- BOINC - Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing
Order clothing and other cool stuff with the WPLUG logo from CafePress.