WPLUG will have a General User Meeting and presentation on Saturday, May 18th, 2013, starting at 2pm at the Brookline Library.
Schedule for the Day
1:30pm - Doors open, set up
2:00pm - Business Meeting starts
2:30pm - Raspberry Pi Demo and Hands-On Workshop
4:00pm - Registration for Raspberry Pi giveaway closes
4:30pm - Drawing for Raspberry Pi door prize
4:35pm - Meeting ends; clean up, and leave...
- Review minutes of Februrary 9th, 2013 GUM (5 minutes)
- Reports of officers (10 minutes)
- New Business
There will be three Raspberry Pi mini-workshops. At the end, we’ll give out coupon codes and/or discount links for the non-gratis products and services used (subject to availability). WPLUG Chair Pat Barron will also be giving away a free Raspberry Pi to a lucky attendee!
Justin Smith's mini-workshop will cover how to turn a Raspberry Pi into an XBMC media server. We’ll install the Raspbmc distribution, go over basic XBMC usage, and touch on sharing protocols like DLNA that can be used for streaming content to the Pi. He may also talk about SABnzbd/SickBeard/Couch Potato if time permits.
Pat will use two Pis, a Model A and a Model B, for two separate demonstrations. Some of the ideas he’s considering include using the Pi in a model rocket, making the Pi into a music player, and installing an IR receiver and setting up LIRC.
We invite you to bring a Raspberry Pi of your own so you can follow with us. Here’s a basic shopping list:
(Note: links to vendors below do not imply any endorsement on the part of WPLUG, they are provided solely as a convenience)
- A Raspberry Pi from Newark ($35), Adafruit ($40), or Sparkfun ($40)
- The Multicomp-branded case that Newark sells ($7.35), the Adafruit Pi Case or Pi Shell clear or blue (each $10), or the Sparkfun Pi Tin ($8)
- An 8GB SD card rated at Class 8 or greater ($8.95 from Amazon)
- A microUSB charger rated for at least 1A. ($7.99 from Amazon), ($6 from Adafruit - cable sold separately), or ($4 from Sparkfun - cable sold separately)
You could probably get away with using a spare cell phone charger, though.
Raspberry Pi Giveaway
At the conclusion of the event, we will be giving away a Raspberry Pi Model B to an attendee via random drawing. The giveaway will include the Raspberry Pi board only - the lucky winner will be responsible for obtaining the appropriate power supply, cables, SD card, case (if desired), and anything else needed other than the Raspberry Pi board itself.
The random drawing for this prize will be conducted at the end of the event, at 4:30pm. In order to win, you must be present for the drawing. Registration for the drawing will close at 4:00pm - if you arrive after that time, you will not be able to participate in the drawing.
(To Be Provided)
If you would like to volunteer to assist with this meeting, please add your name to one or more of the categories below.
- Host: Pat Barron
- Co-Host: Your Name Here
- Snacks/Refreshments: (Sorry, CLP Brookline doesn't allow us to have any food or beverages at the event without paying a cleaning charge...)
- Setup: Your name here
- Clean Up: Your name here, Your name here
- Your name/location here