[wplug] Request help with WG311v3 install and network connection

Larry Wolfson oclarry44 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 22 22:38:28 EST 2017

I am looking for help or suggestions for sources of helpwith installing a Netgear WG311v3 adapter and getting it connected to my homenetwork and to the Internet. I am knowledgeable on Windows but not linux.  I decided to get off Windows and move totally to a linux based system if I can do it.  I played around with linux off and onover five or six years but never got very far. Recently I took a Dell 4700 which runs on an Intel P4, put in 4GB of memory (I understand that P4,being 32-bit, can use a max of about 3.5GB memory) and two 160GB SATA drives. Thereis a DVD R/W drive. I decided to load Ubuntu. Could not get the DVD for 16.04 LTS to boot properly so I backed off to10.04 and upgraded to 12.04, 14.04 and 16.04 (may have been a xx.10 in theresomewhere). I want to add a wireless adapter.  Probably should have put thecard in before installing Ubuntu so that it might be automatically detectedbut I did not.   Being in this situation, I am thinking that it would beinstructive in learning Ubuntu to install it manually and see how that is done. The suggested instructions on theInternet are quite varied and none are complete enough for a newbie like me.  The steps that I took are based on differentand various instructions that I found on the Internet that I could follow. Best I can make out, this driver requires ndiswrapper.  I believe that I have ndiswrapper installedbut not sure that I have all the pieces that the various instructionsreference.  ndiswrapper is in/usr/sbin/.  I can execute thendiswrapper command and when I do execute it by itself in a terminal it gives methe help info.  I downloaded and unzipped a netgear driver and ranndiswrapper -i WG311v3.INF.  This seemedto run only after I created the WG311v3.INF file ahead of time.  After ndiswrapper seemed to complete, I ran ndiswrapper -l and the response was“invalid driver!”.  There is nothing inthe WG311v3.INF file. How do I proceed from here? Do I have to uninstall the invalid driver that is installed first and, if so, how do I do that?  Then, how do Iinstall the correct driver? When I installed it, I simply copied the Netgearsetup exe file into /tmp/.  I am guessingndiswrapper found that because then ndiswrapper did execute.  Is the setup exe the right file or do I haveto actually create a valid INF file manually instead? I also own a Linksys WMP54G which I believe is functionally thesame adapter.  Is that a better choicefor this install? Finally, is this a bridge too far and should I justreinstall Ubuntu with the devices already in the box and hope that they getdetected and set up automatically?
Thanks in advance for any help.Larry Wolfson