[wplug] The history of DNS.... Resolvers

Terence Golightly terencejgolightly at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 16:21:38 EDT 2017

Hiya Drew,

my nsswitch.conf looks like this:

 cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
# If you have the `glibc-doc-reference' and `info' packages installed, try:
# `info libc "Name Service Switch"' for information about this file.

passwd:         compat
group:          compat
shadow:         compat
gshadow:        files

hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns myhostname
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis

I've been playing around with configurations and I might have some overkill
here.  I don't need a dhcp server and I didn't realize that network manager
and systemd-resolver use a dnsmasq stub to resolve local host names except
it wasn't originally working.  So I had decided to install dnsmasq and set
it up to be the resolver and so far so good.  Just realize its overkill.
Will play around when time permits.

Terry